Airbnb Plus is a new selection of only the highest quality homes with hosts known for great reviews and attention to detail.
Every home is visited by an Airbnb representative in person for a 100+ point quality inspection prior to being accepted into the program.
There are a number of benefits that come with membership in the program that help hosts get found more often. These benefits include:
- A verified Airbnb PLUS badge to help build trust with guests
- Elevated placement and increased visibility in search results
- An all-new listing page designed to help you stand out
- Updated photography to highlight your home’s features
- An immersive photo home tour to help guests visualize your space
In addition to getting found more often, 73% of travelers said they’d be willing to pay more for a home verified for quality & comfort.
Here's a marketing video that showcases what Airbnb Plus is all about...
Before requesting or accepting an invite, take a moment to think about whether the programme is a good fit for you and your home.
Below is a checklist of requirements that will need to be met to qualify.
- Interior design is thoughtfully styled. Everything out in the open is either aesthetic or could be used by a guest.
- Layout of furniture is thoughtfully arranged and not cluttered. It’s easy to walk around in every room.
- Dishware sets (plates, bowls, dining ware, glasses, wine glasses, etc.) aren’t outdated and match.
- Wires and cables for entertainment system and other electronics are organised and hidden from sight as much as possible
- Easy check-in 24/7: There’s a lockbox, digital lock, keypad, OR a door person, host, or co-host is always available to give guests a key
- Printed house manual that includes host and emergency contact info, wifi password, and checkout procedures.
- Empty drawer or shelf is available for guests’ clothing
- Counters and cabinets are organised and clutter-free
- If the entire home is booked by a guest, any perishables could be consumed by the guest. If they booked a private room, the kitchen should have a space for guests’ food.
- Entryway is clean and illuminated
- Door to entrance for listing closes properly and has a lock
- Bedrooms in houses shared with others:
- Must have a door that locks from the inside
- Window treatments, such as curtains or frosted glass, to provide privacy are installed
- Private bedrooms have private bathrooms (guest only) and include a bath and/or shower
- Beds and bedding:
- Mattresses that are comfortable, flat, and clean
- Soft matching bedding sets (sheets and pillowcases) without stains or holes
- 2 full and fluffy sleeping pillows for every guest
- Top covers (e.g. duvet with a cover, or comforter, quilt, or blanket) are washable, and not worn or dated.
- Cover exposed box spring bases with a base wrap, bed skirt OR extra fitted sheet
Extra Cleanliness and Care
- Furniture is in good condition, without stains, scuffs, breaks or tears
- Walls, floors, and ceilings don’t have scuffs, cracks, stains, buckling, cobwebs, or visible dust
- Carpets and rugs aren’t stained or too worn
- Windows are clean and not cracked
- Air conditioning and heating works as expected
- Lights work in all guest spaces
- A neutral or pleasant aroma in every room
- No signs of pests
- Mirrors are clean and not cracked
- Shower heads and faucets don’t leak
- Shower curtains and/or shower walls are clean and not mildewed
- Medicine cabinet, counters, and shower/bath are clean and free of personal items
- Windows provide privacy (frosted glass or window coverings)
- Strong water pressure and hot and cold water
- Toilet is clean and flushes properly
- All fixtures (e.g. showerhead, faucets, cabinet handles, toilet paper holder) are stable, not loose.
- Sinks, stoves, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, ovens, and any other available appliances, are working and clean, with no smells or damage
- Gardens and lawns are well-kept, with no overgrowth or dead plants
- Outdoor equipment like BBQ grills are clean and have propane or charcoal provided
- Pools and/or hot tubs have clean water
Supplies and Equipment
- Fast wifi with download speeds of at least 5 Mbps (you can run a quick, free test to find your wifi speed by opening a web browser window and typing in “test wifi speed”)
- TV or projector has a remote control and gives guests access to media/entertainment (e.g. cable, Netflix, Roku).
- Kitchen supplies (if applicable): Salt, Pepper, Cooking oil, Frying pan, Sauce pan, Small pot, Medium pot, Tongs, Ladle, Spatula, Cutting board, Set of knives, Wine opener/corkscrew, Dishware sets (plates, bowls, etc.), Extra garbage bags, Paper towels, Dish cloths, Sponge, Dish soap
- Bathroom supplies: Shampoo, conditioner, body soap, hand soap, extra toilet paper that’s easy to find, hair dryer (at least one per listing), at least 2 sets of soft, plush towels including bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths available in every bathroom.
- Water, coffee, and tea supplies: Bottled or filtered water is available, there’s a coffee maker that’s clean and functional, extra coffee filters are available (if needed), and there’s coffee, tea, sugar, half-and-half/creamer
- Ironing board and iron are available or can be requested
- Closet or clothing rack includes at least 8 available hangers.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed
In addition to home requirements, the hosts of Airbnb Plus homes must also meet strict hosting requirements:
- Well-reviewed: 4.8 average rating from guests
- Welcoming: Accepts 95% of booking requests
- Committed: No cancellations in the past year
Beause of these requirements, the Airbnb Plus programme is not suitable for everyone. Not all hosts have homes that meet the premium standards required of the program, and not all hosts may wish to invest the time and effort required to meet the home and host requirements.
Futhermore, given the host requirements, the programme is also not appropriate for new Airbnb hosts. New hosts should familiarize themselves with the programme, and to the extent that they aspire to one day shortly join, begin the process of preparing their homes and hosting standards towards meeting the requirements at a time in the not too distant future.
How to Apply for Airbnb Plus
Currently the programme is only available in the following cities:
- Austin, U.S.
- Barcelona, Spain
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Chicago, U.S.
- Los Angeles, U.S.
- London, UK
- Melbourne, Australia
- Milan, Italy
- Rome, Italy
- San Francisco, U.S.
- Shanghai, China
- Sydney, Australia
- Toronto, Canada
If you are an Airbnb host in any of those cities, there is a multi-step process for being accepted into the programme:
1. Accept or request an invitation: Some hosts are invited to the programme because they've raised the bar with their home and consistently given guests a great stay. In all other instances, hosts in qualifying cities may request an invitation too.
2. Initial virtual review: Airbnb are looking to recognise thoughtfully styled, comfortable, extra clean, and well-equipped homes. To verify each home meets these requirements, they do an initial review using current photos you share on Airbnb. If you qualify, later, you’ll schedule your home visit where you’ll be charged a one-time application fee of $149.
3. Meet in person: Once your listing is ready, schedule a home visit. An Airbnb partner will walk through your space with you and capture any last things to do to get ready for the programme. You’ll get a professional photoshoot of your space as well as a personalised report on ways to get your space ready for Airbnb Plus.
4. Update your listing details: Airbnb Plus listings have a whole new look to help them stand out in search results. You'll need to get your listing ready by using your new photos and adding more details about your space.
5. Start earning more: Once you’re part of Airbnb Plus, Airbnb will continue to offer resources for you so your hosting and your home will shine. This includes being able to rely on their premium support team to resolve issues quickly on your behalf.